From the desktop of Nancy Kapp, REALTOR
Technology is great … when it works and especially when it’s charged! And those darn cubes! They always seem to be hiding when I need them the most. One solution to the problem of the missing cube is to install duplex USB chargers at one or more of your regular household receptacles. In this post, we’ll show you how simple it is to do this. Thanks, Noelle Donovan, for demonstrating the easy steps to installing.
- Safety first, always! Disconnect the power to the receptacle where you are installing the USB charger by turning off the circuit breaker. Be sure to double check that the power is no longer running to the outlet. If you have a circuit tester, that’s great. If not, just plug in a small electrical appliance to make sure power is no longer running to the outlet.
- Gather your materials — the USB charger, a new cover plate and a screwdriver.
- Remove the wall plate and pull the device from the box.
- Label the wires that are connected to the existing device and then disconnect the existing device.
- Use the diagram from the device that you purchased. Noelle noted that they aren’t all exactly the same so look at the diagram for your device. The picture below is for the “legrand Pass & Seymour radiant Duplex USB Charger 3.1A.”
- Using a screwdriver, attach the wires according to the diagram for your device.
- Mount the device to the wall box and attach the wall plate. Restore the power.
You’re ready to use your new USB charger!